- New York Giants: You Get What You Pay For
- New York Giants 2016 Season Preview
- Tim Duncan: The Most Overlooked Superstar of the Modern Era
- 7 Potential Trades for Russell Westbrook
- Kevin Durant Is a Warrior: How’d We Get Here & What Does It Mean
- Game 7 Preview: There’s More than Just a Trophy On the Line
- Let’s Not Overlook What the Thunder Accomplished This Year
- 5 Tips to Help You Win Your NCAA Bracket Pool
- Don’t Sleep on the Boston Celtics Come Playoff Time
- I’m Bored of Steph Curry: A Few Ideas to Make the Game Fair Again
New York Knicks: Carmelo Anthony Cut Weight to Extend Career
- Updated: August 18, 2014
Everyone bashed Kevin Durant about being too skinny, but after the Slim Reaper won the 2013-2014 MVP Award, it appears some other NBA superstars are trying to slim down now too.
LeBron James cut carbs out of his diet and looks noticeably skinnier, and Carmelo Anthony looks like a new person now after shedding some pounds. According to his trainer, Anthony cut weight to extend the length of his career, per ESPNNewYork.com.
“In anything, you get older, and getting leaner and lighter helps with the longevity of your career,” Anthony’s trainer, Idan Ravin, told ESPNNewYork.com in a phone conversation Thursday afternoon.
“He’s played a lot of years,” Ravin added. “He puts a lot of mileage on his legs, so the leaner and lighter you are, obviously the better.”
Ravin said there wasn’t anything drastically different about Anthony’s offseason workout plan, but rather he stuck to his diet better and added in some more cardio. That’s the same plan other NBA players like Kobe Bryant and Ray Allen have done to extend their careers.
It was reported last week Anthony cut weight to better fit the triangle, which could be true. But Shaq was a big guy in Los Angeles and he fit the triangle pretty well. The biggest reason for Anthony’s weight loss was to take some stress of off his knees which will hopefully allow him to play longer.
Anthony is entering his 12th NBA season, and he has a lot of mileage on his body already.